Guidelines for Submission
How to Submit
- Please attach your submission as a Microsoft Word document to an email with the subject line "SHS Podcast Submission" and send to jim 'at' secondhandpodcast.com or coll 'at' secondhandpodcast.com.
- Make sure the file is saved with the title of your story followed by your last name.
- Please include a personal statement of approximately 150 words. This will not affect whether we accept or reject your submission but may be used during the episode with your story. Additionally, if you could include how and where you heard about this podcast, that would really help us out.
- Flash fiction writers interested in contributing should contact Jim with the subject line "Flash Fiction Opportunity," but we are not accepting flash fiction submissions at this time.
- Please check your email regularly, but also have patience with us if we don't get back to you right away. We will make our best attempt to read your story and respond within 90 days but we're a small operation so we may slip up from time to time.
- Upon acceptance, writers must sign and return the Contract as PDF attachment.
- Unfortunately, at this time Second Hand Stories is not able to compensate our writers for their submissions at this time.
- 1,500 - 5,000 words
- Times New Roman font
- 1.5 spacing
- Numbered pages
- In the top right corner of the first page, please list:
- Word count
Contract and Terms
- Before we accept your submission for publication you must sign the Contract. We encourage you to review this before submitting.
- As stated in the Contract, Second Hand Stories is requesting Electronic Rights for publication of accepted work. See here for more details and feel free to email us with any questions or concerns.
Tips for Success
- Practice reading your story out loud to a friend or relative. Does your story sound as good aloud as it does when you read it silently to yourself?
- Do not be afraid to be at either extreme of our word count limit. We may pair two stories together for an episode, so we can use both 1,500 and 5,000 word stories to fill the time.
- Our policy is "no rules, just write" EXCEPT we will not allow any racial slurs or derogatory terms on our show. You may write them in your pieces but it may affect our decision to choose your submission. If we feel your piece is fitting but contains controversial language, we will ask you to provide appropriate edits.
- We are looking for fiction of any category (mystery, science fiction, etc.) but we are not looking for poetry or anything non-fiction based at this time.